Features: Buckshee, BR (ScR), 1950s-1970s
Published 25 September 2018, 16:22
It is imagined that Buckshee was intended to be the first station on a projected line from Oban to Campbeltown promoted by the Caledonian Railway after the opening of the Callender and Oban Railway in 1880 - a line was at one time proposed from Campbeltown to Dalmally.
The line to Buckshee comes off the Callender and Oban Railway from a junction at Connel Ferry. Unfortunately it was soon realised that the line would be too costly to build with little if any profit and was terminated at Buckshee. Buckshee is situated just slightly north of Kilinver on the shore of Loch Feochan (a sea loch) with a short branch of about 2 miles heading north east to serve a distillery in the village of Feochan. The village of Buckshee has a small harbour with the fish being taken out by train. Also there is a small distillery which again has its product taken out by rail. Other goods traffic is generated by the distillery at Feochan as well as coal and general goods.
The layout has been in the making for a number of years and is the work of a small group of Redditch Model Railway Club members. The layout makes the most of its compact footprint both for operational interest and to allow the finished product to be easily transported to exhibitions in a small hatchback car. The layout was first shown at the Redditch Model Railway Club Exhibition in 2004. Much time has been spent since to bring the layout up to a far more complete state.
Buckshee featured in HM58.